Spoiler alert! I love Mermaids! After all, I’m from Florida where mermaids were first discovered! (Ok…not true. But if you’ve ever visited Weekiwatchee you know what I mean!) I also think I’m married to a “merman” but that’s a story for another day.Continue reading
My Two Most Requested and Crowd Pleasing Summer Party Appetizers!
Hello beautiful peeps! Who’s ready for some happy summertime eats???!!!
I recently threw my sweet husband a 60th Birthday Party at home…Louisiana Style! Steven and a couple of his best friends from New Orleans boiled more Louisiana shrimp and crawfish than you could “shake a stick at,” but I also included some additional party menu items for guests to enjoy. I had so many requests for the Hot Onion Souffle’ Dip and Orzo Salad recipes that I decided to share them here on my blog! Disclaimer: I will do my best to replicate the Orzo Salad for you. Not only did I not get a picture of it (it’s a really pretty salad, btw), I didn’t really follow a proper recipe for it. I just sort of “made it up”. But that’s the beauty of the Orzo Salad…you get to improv it depending on what’s fresh at the market or what’s in your frig! The Hot Onion Souffle’ Dip? Absolute no-brainer party dip for any time of the year!
Boiled Shrimp and Crawfish w/Conecuh Sausage, Potatoes, Corn and Mushroom
Hot Onion Souffle’ Dip w/ assorted crackers
Watermelon Salad and Cucumber Salad
Marinated Cheese and Vegetables
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Red Beans and Rice
Hot Onion Souffle’ Dip
- 3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- 2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 c. finely chipped onion (about 3 medium onions)
- Soften cream cheese. Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Place mixture in a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned on top; about 50 minutes
- Serve hot with corn chips and assorted crackers. This dip is delicious even after it cools to room temp!
Sabrina’s Orzo Salad
- 1 (16 oz) package orzo
- 1/2 red pepper; finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper; finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper; finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery; chopped
- 1 vidalia onion; finely chopped
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes; drained and chopped
- 1 small pkg. grape tomatoes; halved
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen edamame; thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil; chopped
- 3/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Prepare all vegetables except basil and place in a deep bowl. Set aside while you prepare the vinaigrette.
- Whisk together the vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until emulsified. Drizzle HALF of the vinaigrette over the vegetables, and toss to coat. (Save the remaining vinaigrette for the orzo pasta.) Cover and chill at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours, tossing occasionally.
- Prepare orzo as directed by packaging. (Pasta should not be al dente for this salad. Once drained, pour into a serving bowl and add about half of the remaining vinaigrette; tossing gently. Chill until ready to assemble.
- To assemble, combine chilled and marinated vegetables and orzo into one large bowl; toss with basil and parmesan cheese and taste. If your salad needs a bit more vinaigrette or salt, add it here. May be served chilled or room temperature.
This bright salad is full of flavor and can be interpreted with blanched green beans or asparagus in place of the peppers; chickpeas instead of edamame! Enjoy and happy SUMMER!
A big thank you to Karen Russell, Victoria Iacono and Julie Pflug for contributing some of the photos in this blog! xo
Calling All Girlfriends, Gal Pals and Galentines! Let’s Have a Party!
Planning a fun party for the girls can really be executed anytime of the year, but I find it especially festive to throw an “over the top” girly party around Valentine’s Day!…a Galentine’s Day Party, if you will. Add a theme to your party and the fun can begin before guests even knock at your door! With only one guideline for party attendance, guests were asked to arrive dressed in their favorite Sex and the City character. So in the days leading up to the event, friends were scouring their closets for their best Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte or Miranda outfits! So. Much. Fun.Continue reading
“That Calls for a Celebration!” A Modern Day Tea Party
So your kid went pee-pee in the potty for the first time? Let’s Celebrate! Your pups got a clean bill of health at the vet? Let’s Celebrate! Your rude co-worker didn’t give you the stink eye in the hall today? Let’s Totally Celebrate! Point is, it really doesn’t take much to whip me into a frenzy and pop a cork in celebration. But with the one year anniversary of my blog approaching, I knew I wanted to do something a little over the top to commemorate the occasion. Soooo… (pronounced long and drawn out…very southern-like), being the self proclaimed prissy pants that I am and having never shied away from anything girly or glamorous, I decided to throw a tea party…but not just any garden variety tea party. A modern day Marie Antoinette style tea party where there is, in fact, no tea, only champagne, and plenty of delectable treats on which to feast your eyes and tickle your taste buds. Since the party was to occur just before Valentines Day, I made it a “Galentines Day” affair and invited a few girlfriends, making it the most fabulous, frolicky, gorgeous party I’ve thrown in a very long time! Friends came dressed to the hilt and we spent Friday afternoon laughing, loving, sharing, being a little serious and a tad silly! I’m guessing Marie Antoinette would have felt right at home! Continue reading
Fireside With Friends ~ A Casual Fall Dinner Party Celebrating Comfort Food in the Great Outdoors!
I promise that no friends were harmed in the shooting of this blog! Real Friends. No actors. (Wait! Check that. A couple of my friends are actors but let’s not get caught up in semantics.) And from all accounts (and even though I bossed my friends around a great deal that night)… everyone had a ball! Create your own outdoor party like this one and you’re guaranteed to have a ball too!!!
Confession…I have dreamed of creating a party in this backyard oasis ever since I was first invited to the Russell’s beautiful home about a year ago. Continue reading